You’ve been doing a great job applying the concepts we’ve been covering to the examples we discuss during class. Time to take it to the next level by applying concepts we’ve covered to the world around you. Please follow the directions below to work on this assignment. Continue reading
What connections to chemistry & biological macromolecule topics can you spot in this video?
What property (or properties) of water or other concepts from chapter 2 can you spot in this video? What property (or properties) of life do they relate to?
With the water molecule kits, figure out the following with your peers at your table:
- What does the magnetic attraction between these plastic renditions of water molecules represent? Why are the water molecules only attracted to each other in certain ways, in certain orientations?
- Is the molecule with the gray sphere polar or non-polar? Hydrophilic or hydrophobic? How can you tell?
- What do the green and blue spheres represent?
- How does this kit show us the relative strengths of covalent, ionic and hydrogen bonds?
- Optional: How would you depict (a) ice, (b) liquid water and (c) steam with this model kit?
One aspect of anime that can make it so immersive is the attention to detail, whether fantastical or realistic. As we watch the beginning of the Studio Ghibli film The Secret World of Arietty, see if you can spot some of the properties of water (or other concepts) you read about in chapter 2. What kind of interaction between water molecules makes these properties possible? Continue reading