Chromosomes (Autosomes, Sex Chromosomes)
Genes, Gene Expression
DNA Polymerase Continue reading
Today, we’ll consider two NPR news stories with the questions below to gain familiarity with some important concepts related to DNA.
Science Seeks Clues To Human Health In Neanderthal DNA
- We’re told that Neanderthal genes have been found in modern Americans. What’s a gene? How does this relate to DNA?
- How is it that genes/DNA played a role in human survival?
From Kale To Pale Ale, A Love Of Bitter May Be In Your Genes
- What is a taste receptor?
- How do different genes result in different experiences in tasting bitterness?
For April 4th, you’ll get more out of our class discussion on DNA if you read the following:
- sections 14.2 and 14.3 of Biology by Raven,
- sections 14.2 & 14.3 in OpenStax Biology or
- sections 10.1 and 10.2 in EO Wilson’s Life on Earth.
But since we’ve just completed an exam, this is optional for Monday.
With the model components you’ve been given, try to identify the following with the peer at your table:
- phosphate group
- nitrogenous base
- base pairing